I choose a theme for the advent calendar. Last year, it was Christmas riddles. This year, I decided to go for Christmas songs.
In each door of the advent calendar, I put an envelope with a song title. Each title had a word that was substituted with a blank. These words were the clue to find the activity for the day. The activities were under the Christmas tree in individual boxes covered with Christmas wrap.
As we did the activities, we listened to the song for the day. It was a great learning experience. The kids got to learn Christmas songs and even learned some Spanish words.
This is how the envelopes look like.
An here is inside.
This is one of the “presents” with the clue on. The “present” had the activity for the day.
Here are the song titles with clues for each day of the advent calendar:
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas
- Silent Night
- Here comes Santa Claus
- Frosty the Snowman
- Campana sobre campana (Bell over bell)
- Feliz Navidad (I don’t think you need translation for this one but, in case you do, it means Merry Christmas)
- Rudolph the red nose deer
- Away in A Manger
- Do you hear what I hear?
- We wish you a Merry Christmas
- Santa Claus is coming to town
- Fum, Fum, Fum
- Jingle Bells
- Deck the halls
- Let it snow
- Carols of the Bells
- Joy to the world
- The twelve days of Christmas
- Mi burrito sabanero (My savannah dunkey)
- I will be home for Christmas
- Little drummer boy
- Los peces en el río (The fish in the river)
- O Little Town of Bethlehem
- We Three Kings
Check out last year advent calendar theme !!!
I’m looking for new theme ideas for the next Christmas. If you have some ideas please leave your comment below.