I still remember with a little bit of nostalgia my elementary school days when the kids ran at the end of the school day to a candy store, conveniently located in front of the school. The sweet smell of popcorn balls inundated the air. And, they were there in little bags, sweet gooey popcorn balls in different colors. Red, green, yellow. Popcorn balls were so popular that they were one of the most favorite treats for school fund raising and I was there to support the school. I bought one or two or three… each time.
Out of the blue, something in my kitchen brought me back all these memories. I looked for recipes in the Internet and had most of all the ingredients in my pantry. I did not have an ingredient but I found a good substitute recipe.
Then I revived all these memories. The smell of popcorn balls were exactly as I remembered it. I added some drops of red vegetable color and shaped the popcorn into hearts to sprinkle a little bit of Valentine’s spirit in my kitchen. My daughter, my son and 2 friends were the perfect crowd to try this sweet treat and it passed the test with thumbs up.
Sweet Gooey Popcorn Hearts
Your favorite popcorn ball recipe
Red vegetable color
– – – – – – – –
I also added some other ingredients for extra flavor.
Heart cookie cutter (not indispensable but highly recommended)
5 Simple Steps:
1. If you choose to follow the popcorn ball recipe provided in All recipes.com, mix all the ingredients as directed in the recipe instructions. Add vanilla and salt to the mixture if desired.
2. Add few drops of red vegetable color.
3. Place the popped popcorn and peanuts in a tray.
4. Pour the mixture over the popcorn and peanuts.
5. Quickly shape the popcorn into hearts using the heart cookie cutter while it is hot.
NOTE: If the popcorn cools down and you still need more time to shape it into hearts, reheat it in the microwave for 5 seconds or so until the popcorn is manageable enough to get the desired shape.