Not so long ago I made a Spring wreath with recycled plastic bottles. As always I collected more materials than I needed. After finishing the wreath I still had more than 5 plastic bottles in my craft box. My little helper suggested to make a bird. I liked the idea but I did not know how to make the bird. I gave it a thought and, after juggling with some ideas, I am very happy to announce the winner design. Here it is!
1. Print out the bird template and use it to cut out the bird from the recycled plastic bottle. Follow further instructions in the template.
2. Curl the crest and tail feathers by applying heat with a candlelight. Twist the feathers a little bit with pliers while the plastic is still hot. (Safety Note: Do not put the feathers directly on the candlelight. Leave a distance of at least an inch.)
4. To make the bird’s leg, cut two pieces of wire of 4″ each one. Bend one of the wire in half. Make a L-shape with the second wire by bending 1″ in 90 degrees.
5. Now take the piece of wire that is bent in half and bend it again, right in the middle, in 90 degrees as shown in the picture below.
6. Pass the short end of the L-shaped wire through the middle of the other wire.
7. Wrap the two pieces of wire together with twine, as shown in the picture below, and secure the ends with glue. Now the wire will seem like a T with two pointy ends in one side and one pointy end in the other side. Open the pointy ends to form the bird foot. You might need to fix the bird’s foot for the bird to be able to stand up.
8. Glue the leg on the bird and finish your Recycled Plastic Bottle Spring Bird by gluing a rhinestone on to make the eye.
Hope you like it!